Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe: Cashew Alfredo

Friends of mine know I've been fanatical over cashew alfredo sauce ever since I discovered its delicious existence a few months ago. I've been known to whip it up on a moment's notice to top anything from pasta to pizza to veggies. My love for its creamy, dairy-free deliciousness knows no boundaries. Recipe included, plus a few gratuitous alfredo snapshots.


Amazing Fettuccine Alfredo
(serves 4)

1 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons raw pine nuts
1-1/2 cups water
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I usually saute this in butter and add once sauce is fully blended!)
1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
4 cups cooked fettuccine
3 tablespoons freshly minced parsley (optional)

1. In a food processor (or blender) grind cashews and pine nuts into a fine powder. Add water, lemon juice, garlic, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until completely smooth (longer than you think).
2. Transfer sauce to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk as you bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 minutes, whisking regularly.
3. This is where an immersion blender is REALLY helpful, if you have one. I like to use the immersion blender to grind the sauce completely smooth, and then let it bubble for a few more minutes.
4. Serve over hot pasta and garnish with parsley and freshly ground pepper.
5. Ask your friends if it tastes like real, down-home alfredo. They will agree it's AMAZING!





{photos © sweet beau}

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and recently made this amazing cashew Alfredo with a few changes. I just wanted you to know I posted about it on my new blog In the Cathouse you can see it here: http://inthecathouse.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/cashew-alfredo-with-mushrooms-and-sun-dried-tomatoes/

    ReplyDelete